Are you wanting a new routine or looking to make a change to your current routine? I really like the video being featured on the LIVESTRONG site. The routine is 34 minutes, so it isn’t too long. You are constantly moving; thus, your heart rate is accelerated and your fat burning metabolism is kicked up. Extra bonus, you don’t need any equipment! You can do this in your home before you go to work, or as soon as you get home without dedicating hours of your time or breaking your wallet.
Check out the video from Stronger, located here:
Let me know your thoughts about the routine and if you add this to your workouts. I’m adding the routine to my “off days”, when I’m not running.
Here is a little fitness inspiration. The picture and associated article are from Runner’s World. What you will read is a cool little story about how 50-year-old Molly Friel just qualified for the Olympic Marathon Trials! That was not a typo, and YES, she kicked butt. Read her story at Runner’s World:
Reading this article inspires me to say, “Don’t let YOU give up on YOU”. Don’t give on your health. Don’t give up on your fitness. Don’t settle for the slow slide into obesity, diabetes, heart disease, and other degenerative maladies. Don’t put yourself in the position where you look back 20 years from now and say, “If I had only done a little more exercise, I could now … enjoy my retirement… travel more… explore places I have never been…. play with my grandchildren.”
At 52 years old, I completely understand the challenges of a health and fitness routine. Can getting started on a fitness routine be difficult? Yes. Can staying vigilant of health issues be tiresome? Yes. I no longer bounce when I hit the floor. When I mix up my exercise routine, my muscles are now sorer for longer than when I was younger. But, I do believe that nothing worth gaining ever comes easy, and gaining and keeping your health is worth every sore muscle. Decide today that YOU won’t give up on YOU. I’m not saying that you need to run a marathon Molly Friel, but if you want to run in her footsteps, go for it! Molly is a great example as to why we shouldn’t let age define our health or our fitness.
If you don’t have an exercise routine today, think about it over the weekend, put together some simple plans, and get started. Starting is always the hardest part. Once you are in motion, you’ll keep moving. And don’t fret if your plans are too simple. Just move, and your health will fall into place. Plus, I’ll continue to provide you with new ideas each week and after a while, you’ll find the routine that works best for you.
I’ll have write more on this topic in the following weeks. Until then, I hope you all have a fantastic weekend, I hope you can enjoy some exercise, and if you cook this week’s food recipe, let me know how the recipe turned out for you.
Welcome to my site, “The Wide-Body”. For those who used to follow my former site, “The Wide-Body Speaks”, welcome back!
For the uninitiated, this site is for the everyday athlete who has an interest in Health, Fitness, and Food. I research those topics, make sure the information comes from credible sources that I can cite, add my two cents, and do my best to provide you with an engaging, educational, and fun read. Each week I’ll be publishing new material throughout the week, thus keeping the site fresh and interesting for you. The typical publishing cadence will be:
- Early in the week, I’ll feature a new idea on exercise. By publishing this early in the week, you’ll have time to plan for a way to incorporate the new idea into your exercise regimen.
- Mid-week, I’ll publish features on Health, as well as the occasional miscellaneous item. The field of health and medicine is constantly changing, and new advancements are being made that could impact you in a positive way. I will do my very best to stay on top of the latest developments.
- End of week, I’ll feature Food. My food features are always focused on healthy options that can be prepared and cooked quickly, or can be placed in a slow cook crock pot while you are away. Let’s face it, after working all day, most folks don’t want to spend all night in the kitchen, and for some folks, the lack of time is a barrier to healthy eating. I hope to overcome that barrier.
This site only works if you participate. I want to hear from you, so please send me feedback on topics. Did a new exercise regimen work for you? Did you try the new recipe and you family loved it? Let me and the rest of the readers know.
For additional details about me and this site, check out the pages on this site, “Who and What is a Wide-Body” and “Why this Site?”
I’m looking forward to traveling on this adventure with each of you. And thank you again for visiting this site.
Chris Stiehl, aka The Wide-Body
One of the goals of this site is to provide the readers with practical ideas that can fit into the personal and professional lifestyles of most people. As a former corporate road warrior, I know all to well the challenges business travelers face when they are on the road and trying to stay fit. Some business hotels have excellent exercise facilities, but likely, you usually find yourself in a hotel near a regional airport, surrounded by concrete and generic shopping centers, and no discernable way to exercise. Stuck in a place with no way to burn off some energy is frustrating, and could be counterproductive to your professional work.
The folks at Runners World and Westin Hotels have put together this nifty 20-minute cardio plan that you can complete in your hotel room without the need of additional equipment. Bonus; the creators of this plan say that by doing this plan, you will also prevent injury. But you don’t need to wait to travel before starting this plan. Some folks are currently stuck in their homes because of cold weather and this plan could help those experiencing a little cabin fever.
HIIT by Grokker.com
This workout is appealing in so many ways.
1) Attached to this link is a High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) workout, which have been proven to do the best job of burning excess fat and getting you into the best condition for your body.
2) You don’t need to join a gym to do this work out. There is a minimum amount of equipment that is needed, and that needed equipment is YOU.
3) If you decide you want more of this program, Grokker.com, the producer of this video, has what you are looking for, and the monthly fee is a lot less than a gym membership.
So, if you are looking to burn some off some excess holiday weight, give this workout a shot and let the rest of know what you think. Power on, mi amigos!